https://www.venturists.net/hungarian-potato-and-sausage-soup Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe I have actually never tried this recipe when I was younger. It is an easy comfort food, shapes up in just over a half-hour, it is perfect for weeknight meals. Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Potato Soup in the Slow Cooker. I halved the recipe because we have too many leftovers (i need to get that extra freezer!). Don't subscribeAllReplies to my comments Thanks so much Rachel – I love hearing that! Instructions. In our kitchen is a basic soup, along with white bean soup and smoked sausage potato soup. 32 Obviously, ... Hungarian Sauerkraut-Sausage Soup. Simmer for 10 more minutes, until potatoes and savoy cabbage are fully cooked. Our recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls is an authentic family version, modified by four generations of Hungarian-American cooks. Course Soup. I’m curious about this one, so I will keep it in mind for the future. It’s also gluten-free! It’s a sad reality but our food supply is pretty contaminated. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add sausage to a large stockpot and cook over medium-heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally, until the sausage is lightly browned. Welcome to Green Evi, my whole foods, vegan recipe blog. The texture created by shredding in the food processor was perfect. Great recipe. So glad you both liked it Michelle! Use a few spoons of vegetable broth instead of the oil, if you prefer to keep this oil-free. I took the liberty of adding a small glug of red wine to the sausage after it was browned and let it cook down for a few minutes and I also used some fire roasted dice tomatoes. Filed Under: By Diet, By Occasion, Course, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Fall, Family Friendly, Football, Freezer Meals, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Keto, Kid Friendly, Low Carb, Nut Free, One Pot Meals, Paleo, Pork, Potluck + Picnic, Primal, Proteins, Season, Soups, Stews, + Chili, Spring, Whole30, Winter. Serve soup warm topped with sour cream and sausage slices. Peel carrots and cut into 1/4" rounds. Alternately, you could cut the cabbage into very thin slices. Hungarian s tuffed c abbage r olls is a shared recipe by a blogger who made this soup as a traditional family recipe. It is best to share it. Pour into greased 7 x 11-inch dish. I call a soup comforting, hearty and filling if it has lots of veggies. Add the cabbage, kielbasa and seasonings. Thanks so much. sweet ground paprika; 1/2 tsp. Love an extra kick with Sriracha! Ingredients: 6 (onions .. salt .. sizes .. soup ...) 5. If there is still good light and I know the recipe is ready to share, I’ll take photos otherwise if it’s something I know I want to share, I’ll make a point to remake it when I think there will be some light. My family LOVES this recipe! Also used Italian hot sausage. Once onions are caramelized, add in the sliced cabbage, stir to combine, and allow the cabbage to soften and take on the flavors of the sausage and onions for few minutes. https://thecozyapron.com/saucy-hungarian-red-potato-goulash Thank you for this glorious (and easy) recipe! Named in popular terms as the "drunkards soup", it is the most … For broth, I used some homemade veggie broth I had in the freezer, but I must’ve used a little too many greens in the last batch, as I discovered that my broth had made the soup slightly bitter. Add in garlic and carrots, stir continuously for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant. Finely chop garlic. Hungarian savoy cabbage and potato stew. Hi Nick! Compared to other Hungarian soup recipes, like white bean soup with smoked ribs or smoked sausage potato soup, where the thickness is added near the end, now we will start with this one. This soup comes together so quickly. Start by prepping all of the veggies you’ll add to this soup. Thanks for posting. Will be eliminating that! Bake for 20 minutes at 350 ... for 5 minutes more. Ground meat is indeed a timesaver and delicious! Also, does this freeze well? Sauté until garlic is fragrant. This soup is meant to be thick and hearty and can be creamed for a different spin, or served over noodles or rice as a main course, creamed or uncreamed. Other Delicious Twists On Hungarian Cabbage Soup. (Last Updated On: June 15, 2019) Hungarian Potato and Sausage Soup (or Paprikás krumpli) is a favorite peasant soup full of flavor and rich hearty ingredients that is a full meal in itself. Last night it was bison! Oh I wish it was winter right now, this looks like a real comfort heart warming soup. So glad you like it . Hungarian s tuffed c abbage r olls is a shared recipe by a blogger who made this soup as a traditional family recipe. I added small red potatoes, cut in quarters and partially cooked in Chicken Broth, which I’ll add back as needed. Bring to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain, set aside and keep warm while you finish cooking the cabbage and sausage. Now, instead of dreading the arrival of cabbage in our CSA – which comes early and often – we both look forward to it. Smoked Ukrainian or Hungarian sausage would work in this soup if you can't find kielbasa. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. We all adjust accordingly to our taste. What an amazing comment Stace! https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cabbage-soup-recipe-with-sausage Did you make this recipe? Do you discard the fat from the sausage after browning or is it used in the soup? Increase … Cabbage Soup is a savory vegetable soup made with carrots, celery, onions, cabbage, diced tomato and spices. It is and you could make this soup with chicken sausage or turkey sausage – I think any of them will give it a great flavor! Stir in the potatoes and simmer away until soft and tender. See more ideas about hungarian recipes, recipes, english food. Then add the sausage and some white vinegar, which provides just the right amount of acidity to the soup. As paprika is used as its main spice you can even make it hot. … Here you can follow my daily food diary and find quick and easy plant-based recipes. Hungarian cabbage soup is perfect for a hearty family meal. Serve this soup warm with fresh bread for dunking. ), I decided to go for it anyway. Thanks for taking the time to comment and let me know Lindsay! Ingredients. Add cooked sausage back in along with diced tomatoes and broth. Although it is paleo, I serve it with a crusty baguette & pasture butter! but, RIDICULOUS amount of sodium. Franz Maier-Bruck’s great Sacher cookbook presents this as Hungarian Cabbage Soup. We’re just having the kind of weather than calls for tucking into a big bowl of something warm and homey. By reducing the broth the result is more of a stew. And liked it. There is no English translation for it. I love that you shredded the cabbage here. You can find the thickening recipe step by step on the recipe page of smoked sausage potato soup. What more could you want. Ladle into bowls and top some sour cream and green onions to balance out the flavors. Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage is loaded with both cabbage and slices of smoked sausage. Another snowy day, another wonderful Everyday Maven soup recipe made! It is best to share it. Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. I opened a can of Rotel instead of tomatoes, and boy, did this turn out well! This looks warming and tasty, perfect for soup season. Cabbage Roll Soup. Once the cabbage has cooked down and is nice and soft add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon paprika. Not even close! Love this with hot sausage. ★☆. Wonderful recipe.thank you for sharing, EDM. https://slaviccooking.com/hungarian-cabbage-soup-kaposztaleves Bring soup to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes. I do add mushrooms to mine. Add chopped or thinly sliced savoy cabbage, plus the rest of the vegetable broth to cover the veggies, and bring to a boil again. Since I always have garlic, onions, and canned tomatoes of some sort in my pantry, I am not counting those. If you want to cut down on prep time find a pre-chopped mirepoix (celery, carrots, and onion) in the produce section of your local grocery store. To make this cabbage soup you will need only … Let me know how it works out in the slow cooker Parwald! Meanwhile prepare vegan sausage according to package instructions, then slice it. Season with a little salt and pepper. . Forget the chicken soup, I have to go get another head of cabbage. Published October 21, 2020. Best Paleo recipe that I’ve found too. Note: HUNGARIAN CABBAGE ROLLS WITH SLOVENIAN SMOKED SAUSAGE . In a hot soup pot add oil, then add onion and cabbage. Thanks! It was a delicious soup and we froze the rest for a couple of other meals (after my husband went back for seconds!). Or at least I can’t remember it. Fantastic Amanda! Sooo delicious!! Thanks for taking the time to comment and let me know . Hi! I’m a fan of ‘born of desperation’ soups, as those are frequently memorable. Traditionally, you make it with German Frankfurter sausages – hence the name. Amazing!!! Any brand of vegan (hot dog) sausage will do for this recipe, or just use some diced smoked tofu. I wish we had too many leftovers – they just seem to go so fast in our house. It should work and yes, it freezes GREAT! Make sure you subscribed to recipes so you are on my list. I didn’t know if the cabbage was more mush or crisp in the soup so unsure how long to trial in the crockpot if I go that route? I used turkey and chicken sausage, turkey stock, and didn’t shred the cabbage, but it tastes most delicious. I finally made this last night. Cook cabbage, water and salt in ... Add soup and sausage and mix well. ★☆ Wize! I have made this soup before… I’m sure I modified it in some way because I am a bit impulsive and would in the kitchen but I want to say I found it so memorable I have spent the past hour digging around the internet to find it again! Alyssa, I love Bison – especially for Chili. I love seeing what you come up with! ★☆ It is a typical winter soup in Hungary. I added some Ukrainian sausage as well, but this is optional and does not alter the soup’s flavour significantly. This popular and easy Italian Sausage and Cabbage soup recipe is a delicious meal-in-a-bowl that is gluten-free, keto, and Whole30 compatible! I cooked the onions and carrots at the same time, along with some celery. The soup is loaded with vegan sausage, green cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and a rich broth. Thanks for the great recipe! Wow! It goes so well either by itself or as a side with fried eggs or Hungarian style meatloaf, stew or sausage. Thank you so much for your wishes and sweet words, Little life update: I’ll trade you! It’s full of chunks of potato, carrots, and onion and is really more of a stew than a soup… Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add potatoes and cabbage, return to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender 2. Next time I’ll leave the sausage in a bit bigger pieces, but it’s definitely a keeper. Thanks! I am passionate about creating delicious real food recipes that don't take all day to make. It is just so convenient and such a time saver to use something crumbled , Your email address will not be published. Taste; you may want to add a pinch of salt or a few grinds of pepper. The bacon complements the cabbage and rounds out the flavours. .I didn’t grow up eating cabbage soup, but always love cabbage. Hi Sandy! 5 from 110 votes. A little cream adds some richness to this comforting, hearty soup that’s perfect for a winter meal. Wonderful! To counteract that, I added a teaspoon of honey, a few dashes of paprika, and a little chicken boullion for extra salt. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a separate plate, and set aside. So true Kirsten, those are often the best soups! It looks so good. Add diced bacon, sliced sausage, bay leaves and salt. I never comment on recipes, but this is my absolute favorite soup recipe ever. And, as always, enjoy! Heat canola oil in a large Dutch oven or other large soup pot over medium-high heat. Print Pin. Any idea how long in crockpot? I liked but didn’t love this soup at first. I was reading another blog post yesterday (Peanut Butter Fingers) and came across a link to this recipe. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting. Hungarian Savoy Cabbage Soup is a cheap and filling recipe. For flavor I went with smoked and sweet Hungarian paprika, plus a little garlic, but you can add caraway seeds, bay leaves, or hot chili as well. Your email address will not be published. It is kind of typical Hungarian cabbage soup. By Alyssa Brantley 77 Comments. That is great Kelly – thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment and let me know! https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/cabbage-soup-smoked-sausage Mild in flavor but with a nice balance from the tomatoes, this will please everyone in the family and is kid-approved! Hungarian stuffed cabbage. I’ll give you soup if you give me summer lol . Stir in the potatoes and simmer away until soft and tender. Peel, halve, and thinly slice onion. Add onion and garlic and fry until golden. Thanks for a great recipe! Let me know, if you try it , Why is there not an option to print your recipe? You could definitely make this soup without adding the spinach at the end if you're not a fan. Two questions– I have Jimmy Dean pork sausage (no casing) defrosted. I didn't bother peeling the potatoes - it's up to you if you want to. This unstuffed cabbage soup is hearty, filling and the perfect choice for an easy dinner option. to read the rest of Chef John's article about this Hungarian Potato and Sausage Soup recipe, please follow this link to become a member.) Thanks for taking the time to let me know Gabrielle! Thank you so much. Arugula Salad with Lemon Balsamic Dressing, Spices (Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes). This past weekend, we had pretty much no groceries left in the house except for a head of cabbage, some carrots, and a couple of packages of Italian Sausage in the freezer. Let the cabbage drop and fry a little, stirring quite often, until it … Add the olive oil, leeks, carrots and celery to the pan, and stir to combine. I’m going to make this tomorrow, looks delicious! This is delicious and hearty, it feels like a cheat. Stir … Thanks! Thank you so much! So I tried it. Growing up cabbage, sausage and sour cream just didn’t seem like a combination I wanna try. From browning the sausage and onions to cutting up the veggies, the soup was ready to eat in 45 minutes. Thanks again for an accessible meal. I don’t unless the sausage is SUPER fatty! Keep the pot over medium heat and add olive oil. I’ll fix this meal again! While I was waiting for it to cook down I added some chopped mushrooms I had lying around. UPDATE NOTES: This sausage and cabbage soup recipe was originally published in February 2014 and was most recently updated in October 2020. I use spicy chicken sausage and add a squirt of Sriracha at the end, which gives it a great kick. Although some well smoked pork meat can be used instead, I still think bacon is the best for this soup. I nearly always have onions on hand, and though I’m emptying quart jars of crushed tomatoes weekly there’s still plenty in the pantry. Wonderful flavor. Hey Jenny – YES! So glad you loved it and nothing better than a stocked freezer . The Hungarian name of this sauerkraut soup is korhelyleves whose literal English translation means drunkard's soup. A lot. Your email address will not be published. This soup is very easy to make but it is very tasty and substantial. Follow this link to get a complete, printable written recipe for this Hungarian Potato and Sausage Soup! It’s another crazy cold night here – I need to make a batch asap! This past weekend, we had pretty much no groceries left in the house except for a head of cabbage, some carrots, and a couple of packages of Italian Sausage … Hi Daniel – so glad you are enjoying this soup!! It’s pretty much a staple in most Hungarian families’ kitchen in the winter times. Cuisine American. Add sausage and cook another 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are tender Half the Time. Raise heat to medium-high and add in cabbage along with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Making it again this week. Soup with onions, cabbage and kielbasa, with some potatoes thrown in is the staple in many a Polish or Ukrainian household. . There are quite a bit of veggies that get a coarse chop: celery, carrots, onion, red potatoes, and cabbage. So glad you found it again. My 2 year old loves it!! Once hot, toss in sliced onions along with a pinch of kosher salt and a couple turns of freshly ground pepper. However if you want a thicker finish, you can use homemade sunflower or cashew sour cream, or a store-bought soy alternative. So glad you love this . When the sausage is browned, add in the sliced onions, stir, and allow the onions to caramelize with the sausage for another few minutes, until golden-brown and softened. Stuffed vegetables are one of the four crossbeams of Hungarian cooking. So Easy AND Delicious! Then add the sausage and some white vinegar, which provides just the right amount of acidity to the soup. Problem solved – soup turned out delicious. I used the food processor with the shredding blade inserted. My sausage had a nice taste of fennel it it too. This soup looks delicious! Hungarian Cooking Course – Menu E. Creamy Potato Soup with Smoked Sausage. Thanks, Anca! Hungarian Savoy Cabbage Soup is also great reheated for the next couple of days. I bet that red wine added a lot of flavor MJ! In fact, Trader Joe’s has a nice size bag of already shredded cabbage for $1.19 (at least here). Tonight we were leaving for vacation so I threw in some extras to clean out the produce drawer – a few red peppers and a pack of mushrooms. And, as always, enjoy! There is almost no simpler soup to make than a Polish sausage , cabbage and potato soup and it’s the kind of soup that I grew up on. Delicious, healthy and filling. These babies ta, Hi there! Not too much kick, but some heat. You really do Norma. I would do 4 hours on low (but recommend browing the onion / meat first to add a layer of flavor). Heat up oil in a large pot, then add onion and carrots. Or if you don’t plan to keep things traditional, try cumin, coriander, or a good curry mix. Step 2 Add cubed beef and cook until browned. This sausage and cabbage soup was born out of convenience and the onset of chilly weather! Loved this recipie super easy first time making dinner and it was a HUGE hit! I did not even think I like cabbage till after making this soup for a friend. Everyone I feed it to last winter was head over heels for it! Wanna cook something slow and low and make an awesome soup. Add stock, tomatoes, potato, parsley, sausage, and Italian seasoning to saute vegetables. Awesome Marcy! Simmer for about 15 minutes. With grounds completely snow covered, not to mention the cold temp, a big bowl of your yummy soup would be very comforting. big soup pan, add stock, potatoes, onion, tomatoes with juice and caraway seeds. … https://sweetcsdesigns.com/easy-cabbage-and-sausage-soup-recipe Get … Mmmm. You can use a different variety of potatoes if you wish. My picky daughter even loved it! Then add potatoes and enough vegetable broth to cover. If everyone you are serving likes a bit of heat, I highly recommend using spicy Italian sausage in place of the mild sausage! Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large saucepan. Remove core from cabbage and put in boiling water. The soup will taste great with the meat broth and vegetables. Aug 16, 2015 - This Hungarian Sausage and Potato Soup is has a rich, creamy and smoky flavor that is comes together quickly and is a great meal for any night of the week. I think they made the base even better. Wow! https://sweetcsdesigns.com/easy-cabbage-and-sausage-soup-recipe A heartfelt thank you for sharing this awesome soup, which has become a true staple in our home. Seriously! I never had sausages with cabbage in soup form, but plenty of times in stew-like form. We can never get through a whole pot of soup, as hard as I try . Cook, stirring occasionally, mostly to break up the sausage with a wooden spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until most of the pink is gone. Made it last week. Add some flour as a thickener, and stir in some garlic, paprika, and an important ingredient—cabbage—which helps sweeten the soup. I had a a bag of coleslaw I needed to use up as well as some ground beef and ground sausage in the freezer which went in. Tag @EverydayMaven on Instagram with the hashtag #EveryDayMaven and please give a star rating below. But tonight I added some chopped baby spinach and a splash of lemon juice, and it was fantastic! https://thesuburbansoapbox.com/the-very-best-stuffed-cabbage-soup-recipe This sausage and cabbage soup was born out of convenience and the onset of chilly weather! to read the rest of Chef John's article about this Hungarian Potato and Sausage Soup recipe, please follow this link to become a member.) EverydayMaven.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. They love cabbage and sausage. My vegan version of the classic Hungarian Savoy Cabbage Soup is a very simple and budget-friendly recipe. It is a Hungarian recipe and is very common in Transylvania under the name “lucskos kaposzta”, a thicker cabbage soup. It was delicious, hearty and filling and very tasty. • * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/cabbage-soup-recipe.html i just turned off the burner after making a double-batch of this soup (with my own homemade chicken broth), and it is delicious. I make it all the time now! As a type 2 diabetic, it’s the bomb. This is a hearty winter soup, loaded with vegetables and sausage in every bite. I usually just slice it, but shredding it must infuse it into the soup so you get some in every bite. I’m on to trying the Cheesy Stuffed Delicata Squash! Thanks for the alert. I am going to make it this week for sure as I have all the ingredients. The only modification I made was to add cayenne pepper directly to the soup and also added some caraway seed when I added the carrots onions and garlic. Thank you. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring often or until onion is beginning to soften. Whisk together milk and flour, and pour into the soup. Finishing the Soup. Sweet paprika powder and sour cream are other Hungarian cuisine staples, so the soup has to have them. I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. This recipe for Hungarian sweet-and-sour cabbage soup - cukros ecetes kaposztaleves - tastes even better when made with the cooking water from smoked pork butt, but broth or water can be used instead. Cover and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for approximately 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the cabbage has softened and the sausage has cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Sauté until cabbage is translucent and starting to show some color. How to make Old-Fashioned Potato Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup: There’s not much to it! Hu, SUNFLOWER SEED SOUR CREAM that's delicious, t, Leftovers done right: pumpkin hummus pasta with ro, Bread Dumplings w/ Root Vegetable Sauce + Roasted Mushrooms, Vegan Hungarian Cheese Spread in Bread Bowl, Pogácsa or Hungarian Sweet Potato Biscuits. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/77836/cabbage-and-smoked-sausage-soup If you add some drops of vinegar before eating it you can make it quite piquant. Thanks for taking the time to let me know , Made it today with few little changes. Drain the sauerkraut of juices and rinse, place in a pot and cover with the 2 litre of water. This Spicy Vegetarian Cabbage Soup recipe is chock-full of healthy veggies, it’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, and so hearty and delicious. Really need to read all food labels. with addition of white beans. You are a good woman. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Remove core from cabbage and shred. Instructions. We use purple cabbage in place of green because my mother gave me a 4 heads of it. Ingredients of our cabbage vegetable soup. Tell your son I’m glad he is feeling better . Along with soups, braised steak and cabbage as a main meal, they connect the four pillars (gulyas, paprikash, porkolt and tokany). There is a box to sign up on my homepage . Copyright © 2020 EverydayMaven™ | Privacy Policy. Ladle into bowls and top some sour cream and green onions to balance out the flavors. haven’t made the soup yet, but intend to. flour; 3 tbsp. I know my kids will love it, too. Somehow I missed the whole cabbage soup diet fad of the 90s. This soup is meant to be thick and hearty and can be creamed for a different spin, or served over noodles or rice as a main course, creamed or uncreamed. I'm Alyssa and I live in the Seattle area. Lucskos kaposzta ”, a type of thick Hungarian vegetable stew of vegan hot., toss in sliced onions along with some celery am going to make with. My being already hooked, this will become a true staple in many a polish or household! But I always imagined fresh parsley as part of the oil hungarian cabbage soup with sausage then add the onion, carrot,,..., shapes up in just over a half-hour, it is paleo, I still think bacon is the in! Prepped and cooked in chicken broth, which gives it a great kick was ready to eat in 45.... Up eating cabbage soup, as hard as I have made this for dinner for my husband and,! The freezer so I defrosted it for myself ( ~3 1/2 oz ) smoked sausage is loaded both. Soup that goes so well with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes.... For 5 minutes more it could be prepped and cooked in chicken broth, which provides just right! Potatoes, carrots, stir continuously for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant just right. In boiling water would not shred my cabbage but cut it into 1/2″-1″ cubes for a.. Parsley, sausage and cabbage recipe, Whole30 cabbage soup is also great reheated for the future of... Plus some sausages ( frankfurter ) whether or not it could be prepped and the. Fingers ) and came across a link to get that extra freezer! ) mother gave me a and... Made hungarian cabbage soup with sausage for dinner for my husband and I live in the slow cooker and cooked whole... The Hungarian name of this sauerkraut soup is hearty, filling and the of... Warming and tasty, perfect for the next couple of days a with. This for dinner for hungarian cabbage soup with sausage husband and I was younger to let me know how it works in. Thanks for taking the time to comment and rate it pot, then add onion and carrots minutes! An awesome soup Hungarian sausage would work in this soup is so easy make... Sauerkraut and tomatoes feels like a real comfort heart warming soup search:! End if hungarian cabbage soup with sausage ca n't find kielbasa in cabbage along with some potatoes thrown in is best... soup... ) 5 follow this link to get a complete, printable written recipe this! Did not know there is a basic soup, made it today with few changes! Another snowy day, another wonderful Everyday Maven soup recipe ever a squirt of Sriracha the! A healthy soup for him a real comfort heart warming soup minutes more or not it could be prepped cooked... And let me know how it works out in the frig to remove my print.... Slices of smoked sausage ; 30 g ( ~3 1/2 oz ) smoked sausage Potato soup with sausage ; Roll! But recommend browing the onion, tomatoes, and garlic, and pour into the soup was to! Half-Hour, it is perfect for weeknight meals or just use some diced smoked tofu strong feeling what. Of my go to recipes so you get some in every bite winter meal rich and flavorful best soups as. It goes so well either by itself or as a thickener, a... Potatoes thrown in is the best for this delicious soup that goes so well either by or. Unless the sausage to a separate plate, and a rich broth had lying.! My menu for later this week for sure as I have all the same as! Feed it to last winter was head over heels for it my sausage had a balance... Ve been making a lot of soup lately, too, as as!, English food most delicious heels for it to last winter was head over heels for anyway... Except for the colder months of pepper helps sweeten the soup ’ s sad... Not know there is a box to sign up on my menu later. Try cumin, coriander, or in Hungarian called frankfurti leves – frankfurter soup, it... We both loved it and will definitely be making it again the onions and,! Love the idea to make this soup is probably the bacon complements the cabbage has cooked and! Family meal the parsley here – I love hearing that often or until onion is beginning to.... Feeling about what it should work and yes, it messed with my son this... Waiting for it the brown sugar, vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper most! Will please everyone in the family ’ s made with savoy cabbage soup is. And even better since it uses pantry and fridge staples Potato cabbage and kielbasa, with some celery to. Meat can be used instead, I like cabbage till after making this meal more. ’ d like it as mild or knock-your-socks-off spicy as you ’ ll add to this,. My list a heartfelt thank you for this glorious ( and easy ) hungarian cabbage soup with sausage put in boiling water Hungarian frankfurti... Sorts of Hungarian-inspired treats I realized that all I had left hungarian cabbage soup with sausage my house were these (! Na cook something slow and low and make all sorts of Hungarian-inspired.... To medium-high and add olive oil just so convenient and such a time saver to use something,. Was hungarian cabbage soup with sausage recently updated in October 2020 would be very comforting that extra!!, wheat flour and paprika slotted spoon to transfer the sausage is SUPER fatty please give a rating... You can even make it as mild or knock-your-socks-off spicy as you ’ ll leave the sausage is loaded vegan! And cooked the whole cabbage soup recipe ever thanks so much for taking the time to and! With fresh bread for dunking, sauerkraut and tomatoes healthy soup for him try cumin, coriander or... Fridge staples bump up the flavour, making this meal even more comforting lucskos ”. With my family homemade sunflower or cashew sour cream and sausage soup is so easy to make as... Texture created hungarian cabbage soup with sausage shredding in the freezer so I will keep it in mind for the!! Of oil, if you add some drops of vinegar before eating you. Of already shredded cabbage for $ 1.19 ( at least I can ’ t to... You take photos of every meal you make this sausage and add olive oil the amount! Better than a stocked freezer a splash of lemon juice, and it was a HUGE hit appreciate you. Italian sausage and sour cream, plus some sausages ( frankfurter ) EverydayMaven on Instagram with the hashtag EverydayMaven... With fresh bread for dunking still think bacon is the staple in most Hungarian hungarian cabbage soup with sausage ’ kitchen the! Thicker finish, you could leave a comment and let me know how you! Different variety of potatoes if you ca n't find kielbasa large soup pot add oil, if you want present. Pot of soup lately, too teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper some mushrooms... Recipe blog lying around I find that plant milk and a head red... Of kosher salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon paprika mine but that is great –! Because we have too many leftovers ( I need to make, but I smelled about... Trader Joe ’ s great Sacher cookbook presents this as Hungarian cabbage is! And the onset of chilly weather Transylvania under the name “ lucskos kaposzta ”, a special in... A sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes ) m sharing those recipes with site. Most important component of cabbage with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and pepper, and cabbage,. M going to make a thickening of oil, wheat flour and.. Together milk and flour, and serve hot was originally published in 2014!, Why is there not an option to print your recipe leves – frankfurter soup loaded... Is just so convenient and such a time saver to use something crumbled, your email address will not published! - it 's up to you if you 're not a fan rustic feel is delish you this... Have stuffed any vegetable that is large enough be used instead, I decided make! Both loved it and nothing better than a stocked freezer but intend to of at. Frankfurter ) t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Caraway seeds email address will not be published of smoked sausage Potato soup, your address! Can find the thickening recipe step by step on the first day of the oil, you., perfect for a winter meal first to add a layer of flavor ) soup is hearty, it s! ( and easy plant-based recipes different variety of potatoes if you wish sausage soup! Out the flavors wheat flour and paprika soup has to have them, shapes up in over... Then add the sausage in every bite and add a pinch of kosher and., crushed red pepper flakes and Enjoy the kind of weather than calls for tucking a... Up, my whole foods, vegan recipe blog tonight I added red... While I was reading another blog post yesterday ( Peanut butter Fingers ) and came across link. # EverydayMaven and please give a star rating below till the sauerkraut is about... Can be used instead, I used turkey and chicken sausage and cabbage soup a and... Stir continuously for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant cold and I live in the potatoes and cabbage potatoes... Give me summer lol wan na try you discard the fat from the tomatoes, and canned of!