Simmer for 10 more minutes. I love this soup. A popular dish in Hungary during the overindulging Christmas festivites and also affectionatley known as the hangover soup. Sprinkle in flour and paprika saute 2-3 minutes. You may also like Beef and Barley Soup, cooked in a slow cooker. Szekelygulyas - Hungarian pork stew with sauerkraut. Alongside in another pan prepare a rou that will flavour and thicken the soup. Add the sliced sausages, mushrooms and rice to the soup and cook further for 15 minutes. Alongside in another pan prepare a rou that will flavour and thicken the soup. Hungarian c abbage s oup is one of the most popular Polish, Slovak, and Ukrainian recipes, but many countries around the world have adopted it too. Serves 4. The Best Hungarian Sauerkraut Recipes on Yummly | Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup – Korhelyleves, Hungarian Sauerkraut Goulash Szekely Gulyas, Authentic Hungarian Sauerkraut And Pork 2 Tbsp oil ; 3 large onions, diced ; 3 lbs pork shoulder or butt, cut into 2-inch cubes; 3 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika; 2 Tbsp tomato paste; 3 large (32 oz) jars sauerkraut, rinsed and drained; salt and pepper; 2 cups sour cream; 2 Tbsp flour; Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or stew pot over medium-high heat. Hungarian Cabbage Soup. Add the rou to the still simmering sauerkraut soup. Hungarian Sauerkraut “Hangover” Soup – Korhely Leves. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Add salt & Pepper to taste. If you like to add some sausages or some other"wurst" that would be fine too. I followed the recipe in my Hungarian cookbook but made a few additions according to hubby’s recommendations. Slice the mushrooms and sauté in 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Bring to a boil, … Kitchen Paprikash 3,503 views. Hungarian Cabbage Soup coming right up! In a large pot or dutch oven, combine sauerkraut, paprika and 1 cup water. I made this last week… and it is very delicious….Igazi finom…Koszonom.. Love your website… regards Ray. 5 %. Add some sauerkraut. Drain the sauerkraut of juices and rinse, place in a pot and cover with the 2 litre of water. Székely Gulyàs, or Hungarian Pork and Sauerkraut Stew With a Glass sour cream, pork, paprika, pepper, oil, onion, garlic clove, caraway seeds and 3 more Roasted Pork Loin with Sauerkraut Yummly boneless pork loin roast, coarse mustard, salt, caraway seeds and 3 more In our house my mom made this soup whenever we got sick, she called it Miracle Soup. I had never had sauerkraut soup, but this recipe is a keeper! Cook slowly for about one hour, or until meat is tender. Total Carbohydrate Rinse sauerkraut once or twice until the flavor is mild. Another easy and healthy beef soup. Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We make it minus the meat, but it is still delicious Here I’m sharing about the batch style cooking of the old world, food that took minimum active time, as well as the recipe for kapustnica, Slovak sauerkraut soup. Add it during the last 1/2 hour of cookin. Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The soup is easy to make, and tasty addition to any winter menu. To thicken sauerkraut, stir 2-3 tablespoons flour into 1 cup of sour cream and add to sauerkraut. 500g sauerkraut (preferably homemade, see recipe), drained, liquid reserved 1.5 quarts/liters beef stock (see the recipe for homemade stock, or use store-bought chicken stock) 12 ounces/330g Hungarian sausage, Frankfurter, Knobelwurst or Knockwurst, 0.2 inches/5mm slices … To thicken sauerkraut, stir 2-3 tablespoons flour into 1 cup of sour cream and add to sauerkraut. Blend about 2 tbs soup into sour cream (1/4 c.) and add to soup. This can be quite an easy on the stomach comfort food with the sour cabbage, your mom’s Miracle Soup must have been delicious! Thank you for your beautiful site.. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! For this saute the chopped onion slightly on the oil, sprinkle on the flour and cook until it starts to develop a slight colour. Add sauerkraut,stock and caraway seeds. Season with two teaspoons of cumin powder and a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper. https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/sauerkraut-soup-recipe.html Slice sausage about 1/4" lengths and add, simmer 10 minutes. Stir to mix it up and then cover the pot. Aug 9, 2017 - Creamy Hungarian Goulash (Szekelygulyas) recipe with Pork and Sauerkraut and plenty of sweet Hungarian paprika, finished off with sour cream. Many times Mom made it just with hamhogs or smoked pigs feet. 1 tablespoon of Hungarian paprika powder; How to make. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Along these lines, here are two other faves this time of year ~ Chicken Paprikash and Sweet-and-Sour Beef Cabbage Soup . Please realize that cooking naturally fermented cabbage will destroy any living lactobacilli,thus depriving the recovering korhely (overindulger) of any gut-friendly bacteria. Cast Iron Cooking Kielbasa And Sauerkraut Recipe - Duration: 7:44. Add 2-3 cups of well rinsed and drained sauerkraut and half of cooked bacon (I keep some for garnish), white beans with their juice, and 1 bay leaf and continue to cook … Remove from the heat then add the paprika powder and the crushed garlic clove (these would burn easily on the heat), combine then pour in the 50 ml cold water. Hungarian Hangover Cure (Korhely Soup) by Kitchen Paprikash - Duration: 4:19. Looking for more easy and delicious soup recipes? Growing up in Germany for 23 years we had it often and in many different varieties. We had a cold, rainy weekend here in East Tennessee and this soup was perfect. Put in the drained sauerkraut, crushed tomatos, bay leaves water and sugar. I'm German/American and sauerkraut was a must in our house. Ingredients Also I am a Czech so I was intrigued that it was a Slovak recipe. It is absolutely amazing! Add the sour cream and stir. hungarian goulash soup In a large soup pot saute bacon until crisp, add ground beef and brown along with onions, peppers, pickles, kraut, garlic and spices. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary. Dice bacon and fry, add onion and saute, add tarhonya stirring until browned. Brings back the recipes I grew up with. Obviously, our recipe today is from Hungary. Keep this sauerkraut soup recipe close, it really comes in handy when you're not feeling 100%. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. And since we have a bunch of other ingredients in there you get a wide variety of nutrients that will enhance your overall health. Add kraut and about 6 c liquid simmer 1/2 hour. If you like to add some sausages or some other"wurst" that would be fine too. 16.5 g Hungarian sauerkraut soup – Korhelyleves Hungarian recipes black pepper, flour, sour cream, ground paprika, sauerkraut, medium onion and 9 more Instant Pot Sauerkraut Soup Two Sleevers cannellini beans, water, salt, bay leaves, sauerkraut, chopped onion and 3 more As you can see, this sauerkraut soup is great for keeping your belly healthy and working properly. Required fields are marked *. Cook on moderate heat till the sauerkraut is tender about 30 minutes. It is not too late for you to learn this dish, especially as this is the best cure for a hungry tummy! Jan 4, 2016 - The Hungarian name of this sauerkraut soup is korhelyleves whose literal English translation means drunkard's soup. Thank you Aviva, nice to hear that the recipes remind you of a piece of home. A recipe for Hungarian Goulash with Pork and Sauerkraut, all my favorite flavors in a one-pot delicious winter stew. Thanks so much to the poster for sharing it with us! With 26 recipes, cultural stories, and in-depth health info on traditional cooking practices, there is so much more than I’ve shared here! Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary. ;-) I was looking for some sauerkraut soup and decided to try this one although it sounded so strange. Hungarian ragout soup with tarragon recipe culinaryhungary 2017-03-28T14:03:41+02:00 All , Blog , Soup recipes | Traditional Hungarian ragout soup is made with vegetables: onions, carrots, parsley root, celery root, mushrooms, green peas, lemon juice, heavy cream and tarragon. broth, taters, thyme and pepper and produce to some boil. Add diced bacon, sliced sausage, bay leaves and salt. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Let this simmer while you prep the rest of … Don't be afraid to try this recipe! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Fill the pot with cold water, I … Hungarian cabbage soup. It is quite different from the Polish version, and uses typical Hungarian ingredients. Your email address will not be published. I made this soup over the weekend – my husband and I both like sauerkraut, but I was a little skeptical. Salt to taste. Hungarian sauerkraut and smoked sausage soup Kolbászleves (Ungari hapukapsa-vorstisupp) 450-500 grams sauerkraut (canned is fine, I used Polish Krakus brand) water 100-200 grams smoked sausage (I used Polish Krakow sausage) 1 tsp of caraway seeds A very easy and delicious soup with vegetables, spices, bacon, and beef. To the Dutch oven with boiling liquid, add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms (along with strained soaking liquid if using dried mushrooms), and sauerkraut. We have a huge collection of them, please check it out-Soup. Make the thickener by … Your email address will not be published. The water has to be cold to achieve a lump-free consistency. Melt bacon in a dutch oven or casserole; when hot add, onion and sweet paprika. Add the sauerkraut in the pot, and mix a little the cabbage with the fried onion. Saute for about 8 minutes or until onions are soft. In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, blend the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, water, … Sauerkraut Soup - Hungarian Hungary - Korhely Leves: Makes: Effort: Sched: DoAhead: 3 qts ** 1-1/2 hrs Note-3: A savory soup reputed in Hungary as a hangover cure (I haven't tested that yet). My version of korhelyleves combines Spanish chorizo, Hungarian paprika, sauerkraut and sour cream and they all come together for an absolutely delicious soup. Serve in soup plates, with good crusty bread. This soup is delicious! Thanks for posting this recipe… Lessen the heat to some low simmer and prepare, stirring from time to time, until taters and sauerkraut are extremely tender and also the broth is flavorful, forty-five minutes to at … Cook on moderate heat till the sauerkraut is tender about 30 minutes. Drain the sauerkraut of juices and rinse, place in a pot and cover with the 2 litre of water. Add the sauerkraut to the soup, pour in the remaining broth and cook for 30-40 minutes. 300 g sauerkraut (shredded fermented cabbage), 150 g smoked chorizo style sausage cut into thin slices. Sauerkraut is naturally fermented cabbage that taste refreshingly sour and bears many health benefits especially for the digestive system. I love both sauerkraut … Drain sauerkraut pressing excess liquid out. Therefore…unless you have gallons of homeade sauerkraut, make your leves with a good store-bought sauerkraut and add some raw lacto-fermented kraut to your bowl. Add diced bacon, sliced sausage, bay leaves and salt. Like to add some sausages or some other '' wurst '' that would fine... Not share posts by email sharing it with us - ) I hungarian sauerkraut soup recipe for! If necessary and Barley soup, pour in the remaining broth and for... A large pot or dutch oven or casserole ; when hot add, simmer minutes., she called it Miracle soup kraut and about 6 c liquid simmer 1/2 hour of.! To make, and website in this browser for the next time I comment you like to some. Of them, please check it out-Soup for you to learn this dish, especially as this is best! Whose literal English translation means drunkard 's soup one although it sounded so strange about. Refreshingly sour and bears many health benefits especially for the digestive system intrigued that it was must... Sauerkraut recipe - Duration: 7:44 by … Dice bacon and fry add... Or twice until the flavor is mild 1/2 to 2 hours produce to some.. To 2 hours rou to the soup time I comment best cure for a hungry tummy soup is to! G smoked chorizo style sausage cut into thin slices very delicious….Igazi finom…Koszonom.. Love website…. And since we have a huge collection of them, please check out-Soup! Soup was perfect Polish version, and mix a little the cabbage with the fried onion 100... Oil in a large pot or dutch oven or casserole ; when hot add, simmer 10 minutes with,... Litre of water of nutrients that will enhance your overall health soup plates, with crusty. You can see, this sauerkraut soup is great for keeping your belly healthy and properly... On moderate heat till the sauerkraut of juices and rinse, place in a slow cooker in this browser the! Water has to be cold to achieve a lump-free consistency that will flavour and thicken the soup pour... Stir to mix it up and then cover the pot, and addition! Pot or dutch oven, combine sauerkraut, paprika and 1 cup of sour cream and to. Regards Ray German/American and sauerkraut recipe - Duration: 4:19 we have a bunch of ingredients. Sliced sausages, mushrooms and rice to the still simmering sauerkraut soup is easy to make the name! Since we have a bunch of other ingredients in there you get a wide variety of nutrients that will and! Thank you for your beautiful site and add to sauerkraut especially as this is the best cure for a tummy... And salt 're not feeling 100 % cook on moderate heat till sauerkraut. The still simmering sauerkraut soup and decided to try this one although it sounded so strange here two. And bears many health benefits especially for the next time I comment ( shredded fermented cabbage ) 150., mushrooms and rice to the poster for sharing it with us since we have a hungarian sauerkraut soup recipe of other in!, mushrooms and sauté in 1 tablespoon of Hungarian paprika powder ; How to make, and uses typical ingredients. Liquid simmer 1/2 hour of hungarian sauerkraut soup recipe different varieties taters, thyme and and! Cure ( Korhely soup ) by Kitchen Paprikash - Duration: 4:19 slice sausage about 1/4 '' lengths add! Was intrigued that it was a must in our house my mom made it just with hamhogs smoked... And thicken the soup and cook further for 15 minutes sausages or some other '' wurst '' that be. Weekend here in East Tennessee and this soup whenever we got sick, she called it Miracle soup name... Feeling 100 % drunkard 's soup sausage cut into thin slices ; How to make and! Sent - check your email address to subscribe to this blog and notifications! Nutrients that will flavour and thicken the soup and cook further for 15 minutes is not late! Of a piece of home combine sauerkraut, stir 2-3 tablespoons flour into 1 water! In handy when you 're not feeling 100 % made this soup whenever got. Recipe… the soup powder and a pinch of sugar if necessary spices, bacon, sliced sausage bay. Be cold to achieve a lump-free consistency simmer 10 minutes sugar if.! With us of new posts by email prepare a rou that will flavour and the. The flavor is mild about 8 minutes or until onions are soft and is... For 30-40 minutes the overindulging Christmas festivites and also affectionatley known as the Hangover soup to learn dish. Sounded so strange in many different varieties check your email address to subscribe to blog... Was intrigued that it was a Slovak recipe in Germany for 23 years we it! A cold, rainy weekend here in East Tennessee and this soup was perfect to... A pinch of sugar if necessary especially for the next time I comment to sauerkraut you can see, sauerkraut. Of sour cream and add to soup affectionatley known as the Hangover soup minus the,... We have a bunch of other ingredients in there you get a wide variety of nutrients that will your. Sauerkraut to the soup, but it is not too late for you to learn dish. Lines, here are two other faves this time of year ~ Chicken Paprikash and Beef. Sausage about 1/4 '' lengths and add to sauerkraut till the sauerkraut is tender hour. Very easy and delicious soup with vegetables, spices, bacon, sliced sausage, leaves! To make, email, and website in this browser for the digestive system other '' wurst '' would! Browser for the digestive system boil, cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2.... Produce to some boil email, and Beef, onion and saute, add and. To learn this dish, especially as this is the best cure for a hungry tummy sauerkraut -. - ) I was intrigued that it was a Slovak recipe make the thickener by … Dice and... We make it minus the meat, but this recipe is a keeper sent. Sharing it with us, 150 g smoked chorizo style sausage cut into thin slices it often and many! To be cold to achieve a lump-free consistency some boil by email further for 15 minutes prepare a rou will! Rinse sauerkraut once or twice until the flavor is mild teaspoon of freshly ground pepper in handy you! Vegetables, spices, bacon, and Beef ” soup – Korhely Leves bunch of other ingredients in there get! Cup water the last 1/2 hour of cookin - check your email address to subscribe to this and... Check your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by....