If the flavor fades in a couple of days is it worth making? It’s kind of impossible to accurately calculate volume of lime zest, and doing it by weight was just too fussy for me. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. 10 might be the winner for me. It’s used all the time in cooking and baking, and is the ingredient that really makes this lime cordial an improved substitute for Rose’s while accomplishing what Rose’s does right. I didn’t want this to take a lot of time steeping, or require a bunch of special equipment like an immersion circulator, Rotovap, or any of that nonsense: you shouldn’t need to have  some sort of chemistry lab to make a freaking syrup. To make your own lime cordial, combine 2 parts sugar with 1 part water in a saucepan. And of course I can’t find the reference. Either way, great recipe, Jeffrey! Discover your new cocktail with Lime Cordial. Already?! On the other hand, Rose’s Lime is a terrible product. Great experiment! And that goal isn’t possible using the process you described. This is a much easier recipe than what I’ve used before, thanks! It’s actually a pretty solid Gimlet recipe and it’s the one I use with this homemade lime cordial, though you might like to bump up the gin to 2 oz/60 ml for a stronger drink. 3. It seemed pretty simple just lime juice, sugar and water but after a bit of searching I saw a lot of lemon cordial recipes added citric acid. Seemed to have better balance, but that’s me. Strain out the lime rinds using a fine-mesh strainer. I just made this and used Ransom Old Tom gin for one Gimlet and Junipero for the other and went 2:1 gin to cordial. The ingredients are “true” because there’s nothing but: Pour syrup through fine sieve into sterilised bottles; discard … Homemade Lime Cordial. No big deal, I’ll figure it out. What do you think the shelf life of this is? This recipe makes litres of lime cordial in less than 2 hours and is refreshingly simple to make. Squeeze out air and seal. You’re fast! I’ve matured, I’ll say, serving them now with your cordial. Squeeze the lime juice. 1½ oz/45 ml fresh lime juice (measured by volume), 1½ oz/45 ml freshly grated lime peel (measured by volume), 1 oz/30 ml citric acid (measured by volume). It’s so easy and so good…the value-to-effort ratio is absurdly high. Nov 14, 2016 - There is nothing more refreshing than a glass of homemade lemon and lime cordial on a warm summer day (OK, the last bit may be wishful thinking!). Guess which method I prefer? Though I do like them shaken at home. The recipe was by Jackie French, although there are others which are similar as it is a simple recipe. Thanks for sharing. I will likely use the cordial for gimlets in the future because it does seem like the flavors blend a little better and seem to be more in balance, and you do get that slight bitter note from the cordial that is missing from the juice and simple version. To find out how to make it, follow this link to Todd Appel’s website, it’s a fascinating post, well worth reading, but the recipe for his cordial is right at the bottom – skip to that if … This is akin of how Limoncello is made. I didn’t, simply because I don’t think there’s any need for the flavors of coriander or cardamom in lime cordial and can’t imagine why they would be necessary. Rose’s Lime Cordial in the rest of the world is made with lime juice, sugar, citric acid, and a couple of preservatives/colours – basically a mass-produced version of your recipe here. I think I’m going to try this recipe with erythritol or xylitol and see how it goes. That’s awesome! As I was down to dregs of cordial I thought I’d try my hand at making my own lemon cordial based on the ingredients on the back of the lime cordial bottle. The cordial will rise up in the bottle and push out the air.Remove the bottles carefully from the pan and tighten down the caps. Bring the mixture to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. And other than allowing natural maceration, it’s pretty time friendly bc it’s just juicing and putting the discard pieces in a cambro and weighing it. I’ll have to try a few, adjust the recipe, and get back to you. Click here to learn how to make this and other drinks for a slushie machine! Weigh out your sugar. Crystallized Lime (citric acid, lime oil, lime juice) And I’ve got to say that while I love the Gimlet recipe here, I’m a sucker for the 5:1 recipe. EatSmarter has over 80,000 healthy & delicious recipes online. Pour the mix into a well-sealed container and refrigerate overnight. Mix the lime cordial and bourbon in a glass and top up with lemonade then carefully slip … Zests of 6 Limes; 1 cup lime juice; 1 cup sugar; Directions Make a “simple syrup” like concoction by combining sugar and lime juice in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Clearly there is no acidity, but it imparted the lime flavor and the particular bitterness of Roses, so I am likely going to start with that approach as a base. I’ll be making it for the cocktail party I am holding for 40 people tomorrow, one with a 70s/80s theme. Pour the cordial into a clean bottle with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for another day before using it. Feel free to experiment and perfect your own recipe! This recipe works for lemon or lime cordial, but limes have a shorter season when fresh ones are available. . Wash and dry limes to ensure their exteriors are clean. It should have all of the good qualities of Rose’s Lime: sweet, bracingly tart, and slightly bitter. Thanks so much for sharing this! You can usually find it in a bigger grocery store than has stuff for canning. I’m leaving this post up as an archive, but I encourage you to read that article first, and if you…, As far as I’m concerned, springtime is Dark and Stormy season. My preferred ratio (with Broker’s gin) is 1.5 oz of gin to 0.5 oz of cordial, which actually is pretty close to the ratio in the linked article by Gabriel Daun, and arguably makes it more “tart, masculine and a little bitter”, as he suggests. Yes, very necessary. Instructions To make lemon syrup. It’s also a great limey color. It’s been one of those things I’ve been meaning to get around to as well. It was in regards to making larger quantities and you couldn’t afford the time to zest hundreds of lemons and limes. You can … 3. https://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-roses-lime-juice-lime-cordial-502876 Thanks for the feedback, I was pretty stoked with how it turned out myself. It is a real treat and easy to make. OK thanks for this, really, not. In a small bowl, stir the citric acid (and tartaric acid, if using) into the sugar. 4 cups water. Try substituting one of the limes, both zest and juice, for a blood orange. Cool the mixture and refrigerate it overnight to develop the lime flavor. This recipe makes litres of lime cordial in less than 2 hours and is refreshingly simple to make. I think that traditionally a cordial is alcohol based. Get yourself a microplane. Just tasting it I thoght it was a bit too sweet, but mixing it 5:2 with Sipsmith London dry made a great gimlet. Also, love that you made a healthier version for the gimlet! Absolut Ruby Red (Martini) Absolut Ruby Red Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Creme de Peche, Lime Cordial, Noilly Prat Dry The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender’s Craft, by Gary Regan, Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: 100 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories Behind Them by Ted Haigh, UPDATE: So much has been discovered since this post originally went up, about the dangers of quinine in people with quinine sensitivity. And yeah, I haven’t had any last long enough to see how it holds up over time. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. It is similar to a, Beyond the gimlet, lime cordial is a key ingredient in the, When you're in the mood for a shot, mix up a. Add sugar to zest so volume matches juice, i.e. I also noticed that the U.K. label notes that the cordial has 5% lime juice in its diluted form (4:1). To come up with something better, I figured I’d just copy the ingredients from Rose’s Lime Cordial which is Sugar or HFCS, Water, Lime Juice, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, a preservative and color. I guess I’ll have to experiment with it! Remove from heat, cover, and let rest until the cordial cools completely (about 1 hour). Strain it with a fine-mesh strainer and bottle it. Any consensus on a shelf life for syrups made in this fashion? My current summer version is starting with a 2 to 1 using Tanqueray and then adding some Q tonic to top off the pint glass full of ice. Makes 3 bottles. Lime cordial is not intended to drink on its own but is perfectly tart and sweet for mixed drinks. Try them out! I just spilled a little and it took more restraint than it should have to keep from licking it off of the counter. These are the books and tools I use every single day to make drinks at home and behind the bar. It satisfies all of the above requirements, and when tasted side-by-side with Rose’s it still captures the intent of Rose’s while improving greatly upon it. It’s a great recipe. If I’m making this syrup with the intent to serve that evening (and only that evening), is the citric acid necessary? Wash and dry limes to ensure their exteriors are clean. This recipe requires some prep but is good at parties. I know. For more on the Gimlet, check out my dear friend Gabriel Daun’s in-depth article here – he’s one of the most knowledgable people in the business and it’s a fascinating read, even if he does (correctly) dis my Richmond Gimlet, and even though my lime cordial recipe is better than his. On one hand, I’ve never really been in love with fresh lime juice Gimlets. While it’s a really nice idea, fresh lime juice and sugar in no way captures the tartness and bitterness of a proper lime cordial. Looks like they’ve updated the site to the Gabriel Daun article, new direct (english) link is: https://mixology.eu/en/new-improved-gimlet-cocktail/, And no, I’m not looking up articles to find fun projects to keep me occupied while I may or may not be spending more time at home. Just trying to figure out how much I need to order. Rind of 3 limes (cut into pieces or grated). Thank you for the superb recipe! The Recipe Sterilize a 750 ml bottle and its lid by boiling for 10 minutes or pressure cooking for 5, or (given that it is probably too tall for your pots!) Lime cordial is a drink mixer with a tart lime flavor. I make big batches of cordial and it freezes well in small bottles. So in short, here’s what we want to accomplish with our lime cordial: So here’s the recipe I’ve landed on. You made it already?! First of all you need to Mix up a packet of lime Jelly and pour the resulting mixture into ice cube trays (1 pack will normally do 2 trays). In the case of lime cordial, you need a boost from citric acid. It seems to last quite a while in the fridge, although the flavor does fade within the first few days. However, due to its eccentric flavor and powerful lime punch, it is used in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. 2 carrier bags stuffed with fresh elderflower heads (or about 50 flower heads) Bring to a boil, then simmer for 35 minutes. It comes in packets and shakers. Try this deliciously refreshing elderflower and lime cordial recipe for a summer pick-up. I’m a bit confused. Try them out! Seeing as they patented their recipe in 1867, it’s a smart move. Damn, dude! In cocktails, it's famously the essential ingredient for a gimlet, though other popular bar drinks rely on it as well. It’s there for tartness, not as a preservative. You can also get creative with your cordial: some recipes recommend adding ginger, lemon thyme, or other fresh herbs. A lot of bartenders out there adopt the fresh-lime-juice-and-sugar method of making lime cordial. Thanks for sharing. You mentioned using dried lime zest – do you use it 1:1 or is it too concentrated? Other recipes out there call for fresh lime zest, which is definitely a step in the right direction, yet I still found something missing from those recipes. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool before bottling and storing it in the fridge. Self-explanatory. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’ll definitely have to try. Add juice to syrup; stir until combined. I have to believe that the tartness and the sweetness will hold up fine, will the lime? For some reason, it always turns my cordial a bright turquoise color... Use this anywhere you would use Rose's Lime Juice. It does require that dreaded infusion for days, but high proof alcohol (180 proof) is so much better at extracting flavors, it may just be worthwhile. I find that what is effectively a citrus simple syrup is quite useful as a replacement for simple syrup in many cocktails. Lime Cordiale (Official Website) The home of all things Lime Cordiale. I grabbed one of my favorite Gimlet gins, and I can’t say that I’ve ever been happier with a Gimlet. Usually it’s in the grocery store near the bar mix things, or perhaps the aisle containing dry mixes for lemonade, etc.,but I’ve bought it through Amazon because stores don’t carry all the flavors. What could that be? The citric acid extends the shelf life of the lime cordial when compared to other homemade syrups. But you don’t make an apple better by just eating a pear. I’m in trouble now. -15-20 ml citric acid (measured by volume)(I recommend starting with 15 ml (1 tbs) and adding more, if needed). So, have you perhaps tried a method of using grain alcohol to extract the lime zest? Bells and whistles seem to be the norm everywhere and then I found your recipe. Strain the cordial through a sieve before using it. Certainly the result of hours of trial, error, mistakes, and practice from a master. I’ve now made probably 10 batches of this and shared the recipe with others who are now making batches of their own and thinking at the least I need to make double batches because it disappear so quickly. Useful in cocktails, shots, and nonalcoholic drinks, lime cordial is as easy to make at home as any flavored simple syrup. This recipe works for lemon or lime cordial, but limes have a shorter season when fresh ones are available. My ONLY criticism is that the suggested ratio makes it much, much sweeter than I prefer. Mix the lime cordial and bourbon in a glass and top up with lemonade then carefully slip in the Jelly (Jell-O) cube and serve with a straw.